Project Management Professional (PMP)® is the most recognized certification across several different industries and PMP exam is one of the challenging exams out there in the market.
Project Management Institute(PMI) offers the PMP credential to candidates who pass the exam.
Those who are already project managers can become better at what they currently do. And for those who want to become a manager, will have an edge over their peers once they complete the PMP.
How to apply for PMP Exam
- As a first step, register in pmi.org and create your profile.
- Before you start filling out the application for appearing the exam there are few pre-requisites.
- You need 35 contact hours of PMP training.
- Candidates who had a 4-year degree need to show 4500 hours of experience working in different phases of the projects.
- Candidates with 3-year degree need to show 7500 hours of experience working in different phases of the projects.
- These hours need to be distributed across
- Initiating, planning, executing, monitoring & control and closing phases of the projects.
- Apply for PMP exam in pmi.org website and complete the application with the details gathered above.
- More details can be found at – http://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/project-management-professional-handbook.pdf
PMP Application process
- There is a 90-day limit to complete the application once started.
- Once the application is submitted it takes around 5 business days for the review to complete.
- If your application review is successful, you can go ahead do the payment for the exam and schedule it at a Prometric center.
- If your application is selected for an audit, you need to provide the necessary documents that PMI asks for to complete the audit process.
- Remember you have 1 year to schedule your exam after the successful review of the application. During which you can take the exam up to 3 times (in case if you get unlucky the first time)
What is in PMP Exam
- 200 Multiple choice questions with each question having 5 choices and only one is right.
- The exam duration is 4 hours.
- There is no percentage of pass mark defined. PMI has its own way of determining if the candidate has passed by awarding one of the 3 grades – Proficient (P) / Moderately Proficient (MP)/ Below Proficient(BP) to the 5 domains – Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitor & Control and Closing.
- Getting BP (Below Proficient) in one or 2 phases does not always fail the candidate. But If you obtain P / MP in all the 5 domains you will surely pass the exam.
- Once you pass the PMP exam it is valid for 3 years, after which you need to show 60 PDU credits every 3 years to maintain your certification.