Introduction to PMP®
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® is the most recognized certification across several different industries.
- Project Management Institute(PMI) offers the PMP credential to candidates who pass the exam.
- Those who are already project managers can become better at what they currently do.
- And for those aspirants to become a manager will have more advantage in their career once they complete the PMP.
How to apply for PMP Exam
- Register in pmi.org and create your profile.
- You would need 35 contact hours of PMP training.
- Candidates who had a 4-year degree need to show 4500 hours of experience working in different phases of the projects.
- Candidates with 3-year degree need to show 7500 hours of experience working in different phases of the projects.
- These hours need to be distributed across
- Initiating, planning, executing, monitoring & control and closing phases of the projects.
- Apply for PMP exam in pmi.org website and complete the application with the details gathered above.
- More details can be found at – http://www.pmi.org/-/media/pmi/documents/public/pdf/certifications/project-management-professional-handbook.pdf
PMP Application process
- There is a 90-day limit to complete the application once started.
- Once the application is submitted it takes around 5 business days for the review to complete.
- If your application review is successful, you can go ahead do the payment for the exam and schedule it at a prometric center.
- If your application is selected for an audit, you would need to provide the necessary documents that PMI asks for to complete the audit process.
- Remember you have 1 year to schedule your exam after the successful review of the application. During which you can take the exam up to 3 times (in case if you get unlucky the first time)
What is in PMP Exam
- 200 Multiple choice questions with each question having 5 choices and only one is right.
- The exam duration is 4 hours.
- There is no percentage of pass mark defined. PMI has its own way of determining if the candidate has passed by awarding one of the 3 grades – Proficient (P) / Moderately Proficient (MP)/ Below Proficient(BP) to the 5 domains – Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitor & Control and Closing.
- Getting BP (Below Proficient) in one or 2 phases does not always fail the candidate. But If you obtain P / MP in all the 5 domains you will surely pass the exam.
- Once you pass the PMP exam it is valid for 3 years, after which you would need to show 60 PDU credits every 3 years to maintain your certification.
- Enrolling in a membership program with PMI is optional
- The cost of enrollment is $129 for one-year membership
- The cost of PMP exam for non-members is $555 and for members, it is $405 (first attempt)
- PMI membership comes with several benefits –
- You get a free personal copy of the latest PMBOK® guide.
- It has vast resources to earn PDUs to maintain the PMP certification
- It provides a great networking platform for interacting with other PMI members.
- Several local chapters across the globe. You can find one near your city too.
- Lot more …..
Below are some important study links for PMP –
Project Management Professional (PMP)® is the most recognized certification across several different industries and PMP exam is one of the ...