PMI organization releases an updated new version of Project Management Book Of Knowledge (PMBOK) Guide once in every 3-4 years. The current PMBOK 5th edition is soon going to come to end by the end of 2017. So let’s get to know the when is the new version(PMBOK 6th edition) is released, when will the exam pattern change, what are the changes in the new edition etc.
Release Date –
The latest version of PMBOK 6th edition will be released in the 3rd quarter of 2017(i.e between June and August of 2017). You can click the below link to purchase the new version of PMBOK guide 6th edition.
What is new in PMBOK 6th edition –
- The new edition of PMBOK contains a total of 49 processes. [The 5th edition has 47 Processes]
- Below are the 3 new processes added in compared to 5th edition –
- Manage Project Knowledge
- Control Resources
- Implement Risk Responses
- Below process is deleted from the list compared to 5th edition
- Close Procurements
- Below processes are renamed in the new edition compared to 5th edition
- Perform Quality Assurance —-> Manage Quality
- Plan Human Resource Management —-> Plan Resource Management
- Acquire Project Team —-> Acquire Resources
- Control Communications —-> Monitor Communications
- Control Risks —-> Monitor Risks
- Plan Stakeholder Management —-> Plan Stakeholder Engagement
- Control Stakeholder Engagement —-> Monitor Stakeholder Engagement
- Below 2 Knowledge Areas will be renamed compared to 5th edition
- Project Human Resource Management —-> Project Resource Management
- Project Time Management —-> Project Schedule Management
- “Estimate Activity Resources” is still part of the Planning Process Group, but it is associated with Project Resource Management processes instead of Project Schedule Management processes.
When does the PMP exam Change?
- You can study the PMBOK 5th edition if you are planning to take the PMP exam prior to Jan 1, 2018
- If you plan to take the PMP exam after Jan 1, 2018, you should focus your preparation based on PMBOK 6th edition